Sunday, May 8, 2011

Worth the Wait

Early early on the morning of May 2, Jeremy and I got up and headed to Enterprise. I was a little afraid of how the day would go but was so ready to get it started. We checked in to the hospital a few minutes before 5 and made it to our room. A lot of yucky medical stuff happened and then around 7:30 the doctor showed up and broke my water. OUCH! Jeremy told a lot of bad jokes and I managed to laugh some of the time. Around 9 or 9:30, I got an epidural. I have had two before but this one hurt the most going in. The doctor touched a nerve on her first attempt and I almost cancelled the whole thing. Double OUCH! Then she got it in and I was able to relax for a little while. During this time my nurse for the day unexpectedly got sick and was taken downstairs to the ER. I had a back-up nurse come in and was just hanging out. J.B. was being a difficult patient and hiding from the monitors. I had several people come in to adjust the straps but he was not cooperating. I felt like we were in for a long haul because the contraction monitor strip was looking pretty pathetic so I didn't think I was getting anywhere. The doctor came back in around 11:30 and checked to see how things were going. Much to the surprise of everyone, I was ready to push. He told me not to though so that the room could get set-up and he could eat his lunch. There was a flurry of activity and J.B. was on his way out. I did not push at all and the poor doctor had to drop his burger to come catch. J.B. arrived at 11:43 on the nose and I couldn't have been happier. He took quite a while to fully pink up as he had a lot of junk in his lungs. I finally got to hold him and then was able to eat some lunch. I moved to my regular room just after the girls and Hutch arrived to visit. It was a little nerve-wracking because Hutch is in the "bull in china shop" phase and he wanted to climb on the bed and touch the baby. The girls were good though, until they had to leave. Then the waterworks started, them not me. After they left, Jeremy and I sat around and looked at the walls. Then the other grandparents and uncle arrived for a short visit just as visiting hours were ending. We settled in later for our first night, which wasn't great but wasn't terrible either.

Most of the first day pictures were shared on Facebook, what you will see soon are day 2 and beyond.

The next morning I got an early start thanks to a 5:20 am blood draw. Blech! I got up and dressed and then Jeremy left. He had a funeral to attend in the afternoon and wanted to spend time with the other kids. I took the next three pictures while he was gone.

At the hospital they provide both parents a steak dinner to celebrate the new arrival. Jeremy brought Finley and Chloe back to the hospital to see the baby again and share dinner with us.

Finley was really enjoying her sonic slush.

Getting ready to head home on Wednesday morning.

He really did not like the hat.

Since we have been home, we have good and bad times but that is all part of the adjustment phase. Hutch is finally figuring out that I mean it when I say "use 1 finger to touch his toes". He is quite fascinated by the baby and the baby gear as you will find out in an upcoming post.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the new little one!! He's precious!